- Mental illness and the Criminal Code of Canada
- Common reactions from victims
- For victims: taking care of yourself
- Dealing with grief & trauma
- What happens to the accused person?
- Victims’ rights in the forensic mental health system
- Where can victims get more information & support?
- Contact information for provincial/territorial Review Boards
- Explanation of terms
- Evaluate this e-resource
DISCLAIMER: This e-resource is intended as a general guide for people who may be harmed by crime committed by someone who is mentally ill. Please do not hesitate to contact our office if you require clarification, or for a referral to an agency in your community that may be able to provide support services to you. We encourage all victims to discuss the information provided in this paper with the Crown prosecutor in their case or victim services, prior to undertaking any action.
CONTENT WARNING: There are several personal stories included throughout this document. These stories may contain information or details that some readers may find disturbing, or even traumatizing.
Some names and identifying details have been changed to protect the privacy of individuals.