Frequently asked questions

  1. I can’t pay my rent/mortgage. Where can I get financial assistance?Crime and violence have significant financial impacts on victims. Many people need time off work in the aftermath of what has happened to them or their loved one. Some victims, depending on their injuries, may need to access short and/or long-term disability programs through their employers/employee assistance programs. Call your local victim services program for assistance accessing various financial assistance and compensation programs.If your child (under 18 years of age) is missing or has been murdered, the Federal Income Support for Parents of Murdered or Missing Children (PMMC) grant is an income support grant available to applicants who have suffered a loss of income from taking time away from work to cope with the death or disappearance of their child or children, as a result of a probable Criminal Code offence. Learn more here.
  2. I can’t sleep because of the crime. What can I do? Stress from a traumatic event such as being victimized by crime can often lead to a variety of sleep problems. When the body is overstimulated, the brain is flooded with neurochemicals, such as epinephrine and adrenaline, that keep a person awake. It can be difficult to wind down at the end of the day. The neurochemicals remain present in the brain and can interrupt the normal sleep cycle resulting in insomnia, bad dreams, and daytime fatigue caused by sleep disturbance.Try to reduce feelings of stress, especially before bedtime. Don’t watch the news right before going to bed. Avoid coffee in the afternoon and evening. Avoid too much alcohol and make healthy lifestyle choices. Take a warm bath or soak in a hot tub before bedtime. If sleep problems persist, see your family physician or doctor, who may prescribe medications that will help you sleep but won’t make you feel groggy in the morning. Or, contact yourlocal victim services office who can assist you with finding a counsellor if you wish to talk to someone about your sleep difficulties.
  3. I am scared to do things that used to be normal activities for me. Where can I get help?Going through a traumatic experience can bring on upsetting emotions, frightening memories, or a sense of constant danger. Or you may feel numb, disconnected, and unable to trust other people. When bad things happen, it can take a while to get over the pain and feel safe again. But with the right treatment, self-help strategies, and support, you can speed your recovery. Whether the traumatic event happened years ago or yesterday, you can heal and move on. Contact your local victim services for a referral to treatment options such as counselling.
  4. Have more questions? Call us 1-877-232-2610.