June 23rd 2023 will mark the 38th anniversary of when many lost their loved ones to the 1985 terrorist attack on Air India flight 182. This appalling act left families and friends grieving the loss of their loved ones and shook our country to its core.
June 23rd is now known as the National Day of Remembrance for Victims of Terrorism in Canada, where all lives lost to terrorist attacks are honoured and remembered at ceremonies across the country. The annual memorial services are being held in Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver and Toronto. See below for more information on the details of each memorial service.
Ottawa Memorial Site, Commissioner’s Park, Dow’s Lake
An in-person memorial service will be held at 6:00pm.
Montreal Memorial Site, Monk Island at Lachine Canada (next to the Fur Trade Museum), 1255 Saint-Joseph Boulevard, Lachine, QC
An in-person memorial service will be held at 2:00pm.
Vancouver Memorial Site, near Ceperley Playground, Stanley Park
An in-person memorial service will be held at 6:30pm.
Toronto Memorial Site, Queen’s Park (Ontario Legislative Assembly Grounds)
An in-person memorial service will be held from 12:00pm to 1:30pm.
Please note, there is no organized memorial service at the Air India Memorial in Humber Bay Park East, Etobicoke due to major renovation and construction. The city has agreed to let individuals or families visit the memorial to pay homage in the afternoon of June 23, 2023 under the following conditions:
- Individual persons or families may visit the memorial (5-6 persons at a time) in the afternoon. No more than 10 individuals total are permitted at the memorial at a time.
- Victims’ family members and friends are asked to limit their stay to 10-15 minutes.
- Saying prayers and putting flowers or wreaths is allowed.
- Lighting of candles and incense is not permitted.
- The parking lot in Humber Bay Park East is closed. Thus, individuals will be required to park on the road and walk to the memorial. Finding a parking spot on road may be difficult however there is very limited parking on Lakeshore Boulevard and/or Marine Parade. Paid parking is also available at Humber Bay Park West, but you have to walk about 500 meters from there.